Individual writing consultations in English
The Writing Centre is a place where all members of the FAU community are welcome to get help with writing free of charge.
You can sign up for an appointment by clicking on a button below. Appointments generally last 45 minutes. For appointment requests at alternate times, or if you prefer not to use the online booking system, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Library, Schuhstraße 1a, Room 01.038, Erlangen
Thursdays 10:00-10:45 and 11:00-11:45 (Shira Richman)
Henkestrasse 91, Room 01.275, Erlangen
(How to find us at our new location: map)
Mondays 13:00-13:45, 15:00-15:45, and 17:00-17:45 (Linda Rethwisch)
Tuesdays 11:00-11:45 (Helena Marques Soares), 15:00-15:45 and 16:00-16:45 (Shira Richman)
Wednesdays 11:00-11:45 (Helena Marques Soares), 16:00-16:45 (Linda Rethwisch)
Thursdays 14:15-15:00, 15:00-15:45 (Peter Hull) 15:00-15:45, 16:00-16:45 (Shira Richman)
- We are available to help you with any type of writing at any stage of the writing process (research papers, articles, proposals, thesis, dissertations, CVs, letters, abstracts, reports, essays, or just about anything else in English).
- What is most important is that the writing is yours and remains yours. This means that we won’t write for you, nor will we “correct” what you have written. Nor are we able to provide content-specific feedback. Rather, we are here to support you in developing and improving your writing skills.
- Sessions are customized to each writer’s needs. Depending on your priorities, a session might include discussing your ideas to develop them further, creating graphic organisers to define structures, identifying and applying grammatical conventions, fine-tuning language to ensure the meaning is clear and diction is appropriate, or whatever else is on your mind.
- Please bring along any notes, drafts, or explanations of the assignment that will help convey the goal of the writing task at hand.
- If you can’t make it to a scheduled appointment, please send an e-mail to let us know–ideally at least 24 hours in advance–or cancel through the online booking tool.
The Language Centre at FAU offers many academic writing courses in English for various levels of learners. Current courses are available in UnivIS.
English Writing Consultants
Peter Hull has been teaching at the FAU since 2008. He is deputy head of the department of English for Academic and Special Purposes and a member of the Erlangen Center for Literature and Natural Sciences. He works as a writing consultant at the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Light. He has held and supervised workshops, conference papers and courses at various universities in Great Britain and Germany.
Helena Marques Soares is a student in the English Studies: Linguistics and Applied Linguistics Master’s Program at FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg. She has a degree in Portuguese and English Language and Literature, and taught English for eight years in her hometown in Brazil. Helena loves being an English teacher, she also loves languages and their cultural and linguistic diversity. She spends her free time reading, writing, taking pictures, traveling, and playing games and chatting with her family and friends.
Linda Rethwisch is a master‘s student in North American Studies: Culture and Literature at FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg and brings professional experience in consulting, coaching, and training. Originally from Northern California, she has called many places home, such as San Diego, California; Seattle, Washington; Ashford, England; Passau, Germany; and for the last five years Nuremberg, Germany. When she isn‘t studying, Linda enjoys music, poetry, art, nature, and travelling.
Shira Richman, MFA, has been teaching writing and literature for over 10 years and has written for companies such as PUMA and adidas. Prior to moving to Germany, she directed the Writing Center at a technical university called the Colorado School of Mines. She is from Seattle, Washington, and has lived in a variety of places, including: a fishing village in Alaska; New York City; Patna, India; and on a kibbutz in Israel. In her free time she enjoys writing poetry and learning German.