Individual writing consultations in English
The Writing Centre offers one-on-one writing support for all members of the FAU community. This service is free of charge. You are welcome to sign up for an ONLINE appointment by clicking this button:
Appointments generally last around 45 minutes and are currently being conducted via Zoom; you will receive a Zoom link from your writing consultant prior to the meeting time. For appointment requests at alternate times, or if you prefer not to use the online booking system, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consultations are being offered via Zoom due to the current COVID-19 situation.
14:00, 15:30 & 16:30 (Helena)
10:00 & 11:00 (Shira)
10:00 & 11:00 (Shira)
10:00, 11:00 & 13:00 (Shira)
- We are available to help you with any type of writing at any stage of the writing process (research papers, articles, proposals, theses, dissertations, CVs, letters, abstracts, reports, essays, or just about anything else in English).
- What is most important is that the writing is yours and remains yours. This means that we won’t write for you, nor will we “correct” what you have written. Nor are we able to provide content-specific feedback. Rather, we are here to support you in developing and improving your writing skills.
- Sessions are customized to each writer’s needs. Depending on your priorities, a session might include discussing your ideas to develop them further, creating graphic organisers to define structures, identifying and applying grammatical conventions, fine-tuning language to ensure the meaning is clear and diction is appropriate, or whatever else is on your mind.
- Please bring along any notes, drafts, or explanations of the assignment that will help convey the goal of the writing task at hand.
- If you can’t make it to a scheduled appointment, please send an e-mail to let us know–ideally at least 24 hours in advance–or cancel through the online booking tool.
The Language Centre at FAU offers many academic writing courses in English for various levels of learners. Current courses are available in UnivIS.
English Writing Consultants
Helena Marques Soares is a student in the English Studies: Linguistics and Applied Linguistics master’s program at FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg. She has a degree in Portuguese and English Language and Literature, and taught English for eight years in her hometown in Brazil. Helena loves being an English teacher; she also loves languages and their cultural and linguistic diversity. She spends her free time reading, writing, taking pictures, traveling, and playing games and chatting with her family and friends.
Shira Richman, MFA, has been teaching writing and literature for over 10 years and has written for companies such as PUMA and adidas. Prior to moving to Germany, she directed the Writing Center at a technical university called the Colorado School of Mines. She is from Seattle, Washington, and has lived in a variety of places, including: a fishing village in Alaska; New York City; Patna, India; and on a kibbutz in Israel. In her free time she enjoys writing poetry and learning German.